Co-curricular activity is in abundance at Cardijn

Mens sana in corpore sano’ is a Latin phrase which translates to ‘a healthy mind in a healthy body’. The phrase is widely used in sporting and educational contexts to support the theory that physical exercise and activity is an important element of mental and psychological well-being.

At Cardijn we are very fortunate to be able to offer a number of co-curricular opportunities for students. Whether this be on the sporting field, through the YCS, Music, Drama, one of the many clubs, the Pedal Prix or any of the other opportunities, being involved in co-curricular activity is such an important aspect of College life.

When I was at school, I tried as many co-curricular things as I possibly could. I even tried out for the school choir, and was unsuccessful. I tried out for the school dance group, and was unsuccessful in that too (and my dancing has not improved since)! However, I found my passion is sport and some of my fondest childhood memories were representing my school and playing sport with my friends. The camaraderie, friendships and overall enjoyment I received from these experiences are some that I will never forget.

There are a few things that are fundamental in getting the most out of the school experience. These include being in attendance and being present, being punctual, completing the work that is required and being involved in the school community. One way to do this is through the College co-curricular program. Every student is encouraged to be a part of the vast array of co-curricular opportunities on offer to them as it really will enhance the overall Cardijn experience. It does not necessarily need to be on the sporting field but in the Arts, Drama, Music, YCS, Pedal Prix or any of the various clubs on offer.

At our recent College assembly we recognised the achievements of students within the co-curricular program and what was particularly pleasing was the number of students involved in these activities. This program would not be possible without the support of staff, old scholars, parents and families and we are very grateful for this.

We have a vast array of talents within the student body here at Cardijn and because of this, I see it as a timely opportunity to remind families of the Champagnat scholarships that are on offer. Each year, one student from each year level is recognised for their contribution to the College and their contribution to the community. With so many talented individuals in our community, students are encouraged to apply for these scholarships and seek the support of their homeroom teacher or house leader. Regardless if they are successful or not, this provides the opportunity to affirm the great things that happen at Cardijn and the talents of so many within our community.

As we head into the final week of Term 3, we hope all families enjoy the school holiday break and the opportunity to spend quality time with family and friends.

0 comments on “Co-curricular activity is in abundance at Cardijn