Cardijn’s musical talents in the limelight

Last week, Catholic Education SA celebrated 30 years of the annual Catholic Schools Music Festival. The Festival runs over four nights and is a celebration of the musical talent of the students who attend Catholic schools. Over three decades, thousands of children have performed at the Festival and this year the choir contained more than 400 students on stage.

The venue for this year’s festival was the Theatre at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre. I was privileged to attend on the Tuesday night and I can say that the talent of all the students who performed was incredible. I can only imagine the countless hours spent rehearsing and I acknowledge the incredible work of the teachers in supporting these students to perform at their best.

However, it was just before the end of the evening that I witnessed the most incredible performance – yes I am most probably biased. The performance from the Cardijn College Chorale and Cardinal Blues just blew me away! The ensemble performed My Shot from Hamilton and it was just fantastic. The audience was left stunned as the students delivered the performance with precision and high energy. Since the Festival, the College has received incredible feedback about just how well the Cardijn students performed. One commenter said they should have received a standing ovation!

Yes, I was pretty proud of the students – they were simply amazing. I want to especially acknowledge David Gauci who conducts and leads the ensemble. David has an amazing ability to bring out the best in our music students and this was clearly on display on Tuesday night. Chorale and Cardinal Blues featured again on the Thursday night as did our Vocal Jazz Ensemble and I am confident that all students would have performed at the highest level. A special mention to Year 8 student Mya Croser who was student compere for Thursday night’s show.

Next week will see our Year 9 students go on camp. The camp provides an excellent opportunity for our students to get away from the home and school environment and spend time with their classmates and teachers. The students have a camp preparation day on Monday and arrive back on Thursday afternoon. I’m sure that the students are excited about having a break from school during the last week.

Finally, the term concludes on Friday 28 September at 1.00pm and reports will be issued to the students that day. Year 9 students will finish on Thursday 27 September when they return from camp so those reports will be posted.

0 comments on “Cardijn’s musical talents in the limelight